Thursday, January 14, 2010

A New Journey

Have you ever set out on a journey? I have, and there's been many different journeys. Some journeys are very well planned out - like a vacation. You have an itinerary, know the costs, know whom you're going with, when you're going, when you're coming back - nicely laid out plans. Ahh......... and you're set... off you go to have fun.

Why is it, I ask, that some journeys are more difficult than planning a vacation? I've been on a weight loss journey for the past 6 months. A literal roller coaster.... started out great, had a plan, was losing the pounds, and then wham!! An emotional setback hit in March that set me into a tailspin of emotional eating... at times I still struggle. Yeah, you see I'm like a million other folks that are emotional eaters... emotions set folks like us into non-stop, non-conscious eating. And dare I say, not the best or healthiest of choices.

We eat when we're angry, sad, bored, and the reality of it is our emotions turn to food for comfort! Not a good or healthy combination, but hey, I know it's there and believe you me I'm working on "taming that beast". One can "choose", and believe it or not "have power" over food. What a concept, huh?

Let's change the mind frame - Food becomes fuel, becomes energy... vs. comfort. Food no longer is comfort for angry feelings, sad feelings, boredom, or even loneliness. Food simply is food.. a fuel to nourish and power the body. As I type this I am convincing and re-programming my mind to believe... the goal here (the journey) is a shift of mindset to healthy eating that becomes second nature; A permanent way of life. My journey and goal is to say goodbye to "the beast" of emotional eating. I do have a "choice" and "power" over it.

Join me as I start my weight loss journey. An adventure into self discovery really. I suspect that not only will I change to healthy eating habits but I might just find I do a bit of housecleaning in all aspects of my life.

Now, how to get this all planned out carefully.... I suspect I will take the approach of a well planned vacation. It takes planning, a desire to get to your destination, and more important to have fun!

So...... here we go..... the journey has begun.