Tuesday, December 29, 2009

All in perspective

Mother Nature has a way of bringing life into perspective.
The human race has, in this writers' opinion felt bigger
and more powerful than many things.

However, and I say however, let's take Mother Nature for example.
The Wind can feel pleasant on a warm summers' day/night.
The Wind can also chill you to the bone in sub-zero temperatures.
The Wind can even bring death... destruction... when
she forms tropical storms and hurricanes. Are we more powerful?

Water. Oh how I love being near the water. The Warm tropical
climates with a warm sandy beach and an ocean as far as one
can see. The water caresses your body as you slip into it and
can soothe an aching body and soul. Too much water in a torrential
downpour, flash flood, or tsunami can bring death. Are we more
powerful?

Mother Earth herself is amazing. So many beautiful sites, so many
shapes. Flat ground, soft ground, hills, mountains, valleys, a variety of shapes
across her canvas. Yet the earth can shake, it can slide, and it can bring
death if caught in her path. Are we more powerful?

Why such deep thoughts? Well, the past couple days I've hiked
many miles along the ridges and mists of Mount Diablo.
Beautiful country, just outside the hustle and bustle of city life.
Here I felt so small amongst the winding paths and trees. Sometimes
the hills were so steep I felt they would defeat me. Sometimes I felt the
presence of the animals watching - though we could not see. They only
left their tracks, their body a ghost to us ..... fresh tracks. Wild boars, raccoons and
coyotes. In the middle of nowhere, yet so close to civilization I crept
into a different world, if just for awhile. Alone with Mother Nature and
her creatures.

Today, I faced 5 big bulls on our trek through the foothills. Some standing
in our path. Did I ever feel small! As we approached my thoughts raced,
what if he charges, can I run fast enough? Find a tree to climb? Or will I
face a fate I'd like to not think about? Luckily all 5 were content in their
field of cows -- ever watchful as we past. Some only 10 feet away. I did get brave
and snapped a couple pictures. I mean if I did face a bull at least I'd have a picture
to say "hey, this is the one that did it" . All kidding aside, one feels small
next to a 1200 pound animal in the open, in the middle of no where. It is
also invigorating too! Talk about getting your blood pumping.

The morning air was crisp and cool both days. Seeing your breath as you
walked. Soon as your body moved more you felt warm even though the
grasses around you, covered in frost, told you it was still very cold out.

The hills from afar do not look that tall or big. When faced with climbing one or
two you realize their beauty, their height, and the challenge to get to the
top. If one doesn't slip or slide (as it was wet out both days), the view from
the top is breath-taking.... worth the climb.

One realizes just how small they are in a world were mankind
feels so big and powerful. Mother Nature has a gentle way of reminding
us just how small we are in the midst of it all. Mother Nature has
a way of bringing an appreciation back to life, to living. Take a walk
in her and she won't disappoint. You may be surprised when she
quietly enters your soul and whispers her wisdom to you. She's worth
the Walk.

---------------
May the beauty of Mother Earth bring her wisdom and life to you
my family and friends. Many blessings to you this day and always.