Saturday, March 29, 2008

Springbreak Mania

What is it about Spring Break that drives millions of folks to take to the hwys and byways to various adventerous locations? Is it that feeling of "Ahhhhh... Spring is in the air, let's go" OR is it "Let's do it now before Summer scorches us"? Could be either, could be neither, and it could just be... well, that it simply is what it is.

Well, I'm one of those that like to venture on Spring Break. A time to be with loved ones and family on a road trip to Disneyland, to Mideivel Times Castles, or perhaps a Pirates Adventure. Now this is just a few of the many amusement parks that California has to offer. For me, it's a time to suck it up (or try at least - lol), and to pretend I'm 21 again and able to ride the rides that flip and swirl your body into positions it probably should never be in. Hey... it's the thrill, the adrelanine, the ah..... what am I thinking... it's just plain crazy! But, what the heck.

I have to say part of the venture made me feel young again, and part of it made me feel, well my age. Standing in line with 20-something year olds (probably mid 20's), looking at the couples hand in hand, smiling into each other's eyes, and thinking..... "My God they are only 15!". Oh no.... I'm old, they are not 15, they are 23, 24, 25... and I have to ask myself... "What were you doing my dear at that age"? I won't answer that but those that know me and my 20-something years... try not to laugh too hard or loud. So I start to look at the 40-something and 50-something women that are trying despartely to be 20-something. Low tops, too short of shorts, and come on... no matter how well you care for your body, some things at 50-something should not be hanging out there. Mile long cleavage and bellys that should be kept covered. I had a revelation, and it was like a zoom in of a movie..... "OMG...... I'm turning into my Mother! OMG... someone help me! How could this be?" You know though, after I stopped hyper-ventilating at the thought of becoming Mom, I really had to smile, my Mom's really really cool!

I realized that these past few days that my child is growing up.... FAST! To see one's child go on rollercoasters that I, well thought of going on (I mean I had to protect my child on the ride, I HAD to go)... but when I got up close, said ah... no... let's not, but those little eyes said, "come on Mom, I'm not a baby anymore"... So I took a deep breath, prayed 10 Hail Mary's, 1,000 Our Fathers, prayed to Saint Peter, Saint Micheal, Saint Anthony, and many more Saints I made up... I watched my child slowly get in line and go on, what I felt was a "Death Machine" (well, come on - at 40-something that's what they look like). I found out my child survived, and loved it so much went back on again! How could this be, I couldn't possibly hold my breath for another round of that ride. But I did, oh with the grace of all the patron Saints I prayed to that moment. Mom & Dad would be proud at the number of impromptu prayers I was able to come up with (some very eloquent - at least in my minds eye).

Well, we made it through the mazes, the ups and the downs, the water rides and dry rides... not to mention the Churros, the Pink Cotton Candy, and the indulgent dinners we had while out on our venture. So for today, I sit and reflect, on a past few days (that flew by oh so quickly), but will remain in my heart forever. And... I have to say, I'm amazed that I can hold my breath for as long as I can while waiting for that familiar face to get off the ride,... it really is a FUN ride afterall, I suppose it's all a matter of age and one's perspective.

No comments: