Monday, May 25, 2009

Tim the Tool Man

Oh... Tim the tool man would have been proud of me this morning. Arghh arghh.... (a bit of laughter here thinking about it)... 8:30 am I decide that I must weed-whack one (just one) side of my front yard. So out I go.

Trim line in the weed whacker and bam! Weeds gone. Hey this isn't so bad... so I tackle the other half of the yard. By now I'm thinking "power tools"... this is good! Grab the leaf blower, grab the hedge trimmer... anything else? Hmm... darn shucks... these tools will have to do. So off I go weed whacking, trimming bushes, clipping rose bushes (25 of them mind you), and did I say weed whacking (ha!).

I think I freak the neighborhood out sometimes. Mainly a Hispanic community, where, mind you, and I mean no disrespect here but women just don't do this sort of thing. Every time I get the power tools out and work the gardeners for hire seem to come out, drive by, honk smile, and more often than not hand me their business card. I mean come on, who is this gringo girl out there working in the yard? Not her place. I can only smile inside.

Despite the dust, the weeds, and my constant "ah-choo" "ah-choo" (sneezing up a storm here), I finish the yard. Oh, it feels good to see the yard done. Oooooooooo... what's that... my arms feel like rubber, as if I've given them a workout of their life. I must retreat. Retreat into my safe little hobbit hole, crawl into a bath, or a shower, or both! Let the warm water ease the muscles (that I didn't realize I had, and this seems to happen ever time I get this tool man mentality of power tools)... relax. A job well done.

The only thing left for me to do now is collect the gardening cards that will undoubtedly be left on my front porch. I just don't fit the mold sometimes, but that's okay, I don't mind. And it gives me a chuckle when I get the looks I do.

Happy gardening to you my family and friends.