Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cabin Fever

What soothes your soul? A quite walk amongst the fall trees? A morning run before the world wakes? Or perhaps something more relaxing... yoga, or meditation. I can almost say for certain that what soothes my soul certainly isn't the thing that soothes another. It's a personal thing, for certainly one size does not fit all here.

For 4 days I've been home caring for a loved one gone ill. During this time I've come to realize just how "busy" my life really is Monday - Friday. Alarm off at "X time". Shower at this time. Lunches made at this time. Breakfast. Is everything packed and ready. Out the door. Busy work all day. Errands ran during lunch... many times lunch is at the desk working... okay so errands after work. Sports after school, homework, how was your day, how was my day, dinner, a TV broadcast, bed. Next day.... do it all over again. Hmmmmm... when you look at it this way it seems hurried. Where in all of this do we feed, do we nurture our soul?

I think that this down time being home has been the opportunity to look at the day-to-day operations (as you may call 'em), and think about how we can "shift them" to be a bit more "relaxing....... soothing to the soul". I mean come on, we ARE worth it. What's wrong with giving ones self time for comfort, for pleasure, for time to unwind... to say ahhhhhh.

Something I'm definitely thinking about. Something I'll definitely try to incorporate into the day. It will take time, things don't change over night. HOWEVER... awareness is the first step.

So, rather than fight this cabin fever I was feeling the past 4 days, I can really say thank you. Thank you for the time to reflect, to focus on life, and to focus on bringing more comfort and soothing things into the day.

No comments: