Sunday, January 25, 2009

Went for Milk

Set the scene. A Sunday afternoon. Pouring rain - the kind that soaks you to the skin. However, this is the perfect time for a quick trip to the grocery store. A quick trip because previously one forgot the "Milk". Why is it raining so hard?

To the store. Luck will be with us, a close spot. Despite being close, we get pretty wet. That's okay, it's a quick trip... just Milk. Well, just in case grab a cart. Milk, bananas, cereal... what else. Pushing the cart waaaaay to fast - afterall, this is supposed to be a quick in and out trip. I just don't have time to be here, have to shop and get home (why I have no clue... funny how that is sometimes).

Before me appears a friend from the past. A friend I run in to time and time again. He is soaked. In his work clothes, been working all day. We exchange pleasantries. He asks about my Mom. Worried about my Mom. Sees her in church. Says where have you been? Haven't seen you. A twinge of guilt starts to develop inside of me.

We talk about my Mom's last bout with surgeries, how she's really a miracle and strength of God. Then it's as if nothing around me existed. My friend goes on to tell me how he has fallen in love all over again with his wife. How she's always marched to a different drummer, did things her way - a bit crazy. The ruts, the routine, stagnation of life... and then the motorcycle accident. Sincerity written all over his face his eyes are welled up with tears as he shares the miracle of God waking him up through this accident... her accident. The reconnection of Love, and what Love and God are all about. I'm not sure how long we spoke, I was fixed on the pureness of his words, his tears. It was as if this "quick trip" was lined up. A meeting of two people who may see each other 1 time every year and half. Perhaps something I needed to hear? To see? To Listen to? I don't know. It was as if I were seeing God through an other's eyes.

Amazing what an impromptu trip to the grocery store can bring about. I went for Milk, and God found me. God too will find you, in places you least expect, and when you least expect it. One just has to be open to receive.

1 comment:

Kristin Amaro said...

Patty - thanks for relating this...a wonderful read. God is good, and if we let Him....EVEN BETTER!!!

Love to you!!

k